So you have Passport program funding. Welcome!

Since you are eligible for adult developmental services, you are also eligible for Passport funding in the amount of $5,500 a year.

This funding can help you participate in community services and supports, daily living activities, and person-directed planning. It can help you become more involved in your community and live more independently.

Filing Claims

Passport recipients who self-administer their funding have two electronic options to submit claims that make the process simple and easy to manage.

What can I use the funding for?

Community participation and activities of daily living

  • Programs, classes and supports that help develop independence, social and life skills (e.g. literacy, cooking, managing money, computer skills, assistance with personal care needs)
  • Participation in community activities and events (e.g. recreation, club memberships, admission to festivals and museums)
  • Tickets for live events ($150 maximum per ticket for up to 2 people)
  • Pre-employment and employment supports (e.g. skills training, resume development and job coaching)
  • Transportation for employment and admissible activities (e.g. transit, mileage, taxis)
  • Paying a support worker to help with community participation and daily living activities. This includes a support worker’s expenses while providing support (e.g. transportation and activity fees, expenses for accompanying the individual during trips)

Caregiver respite

Caregiver respite is temporary help to provide a break to primary caregivers. This can be during the day, evening or weekend, and can be in-home or out-of-home.

Person-directed planning

Funding (up to $2,500) can be used to develop a person-directed plan that builds on the individual’s strengths and interests and identifies supports to help them achieve their goals. These supports can be purchased from independent planners, facilitators or developmental services agencies.


Funding (up to 10%) can be used to cover some employer costs (e.g., Canada Pension Plan contributions, Employment Insurance, etc.) and some administrative supports (e.g. bank fees, bookkeeping, etc.).


Funding (up to $3000) can be used for technology products and services (e.g., laptops or tablets, cell phones and plans, Internet service provider fees, printers, etc.), including repair and maintenance costs.

Community participation and supports supplies and equipment

Funding (up to $2000) can be used for:

  • supplies and equipment to support organized and general social, leisure and cultural activities (e.g., sports and recreation, fitness, arts and crafts, learning, and skills development)
  • personal protective equipment (e.g. masks, gowns, gloves, face shields, etc.)
  • sensory items
  • repair and maintenance costs (e.g., bike tune-up)

What's NOT covered?

Some of the items not covered under the program include:

  • housing and home maintenance (e.g., rent, home renovations or modifications, housekeeping)
  • household items and electronics (e.g., furniture, appliances)
  • indirect respite services and supports (e.g., cleaning, meal preparation, snow removal, care of other family members)
  • holiday travel (e.g., personal or family vacations)
  • groceries, food, and restaurant meals
  • some technology products and services (e.g., gaming consoles, video games, in-app purchases, TV cable or streaming subscription fees)

Please note: This is not a complete list of what's not covered. For more information about how your Passport funding can be used, please see the guidelines.

Find your area Passport agency

There are 11 Passport agencies across the province. To find your area Passport agency, visit Find your Passport agency. There, you can enter your postal code or search by the county/region to connect with your local Passport program agency.

Tip sheets and guidelines

Download a PDF version of the Passport Funding Tip Sheet for a list of Program changes effective April 1, 2023.

For full program guidelines, please click here.

I have Passport program funding, what’s next?

Here’s what happens after you receive funding

Once funding becomes available and an agreement has been made between the individual and the Passport agency, individuals and their families can use Passport funding to reimburse allowable expenses for supports and services.

Need more information?

To find your area Passport program agency, click Find your Passport agency.