First, apply through the Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) office in your region and confirm that you meet all Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) requirements for funded adult developmental services.

Once you are confirmed eligible through DSO, you may request a referral to the Passport program to apply for Passport funding. Every eligible adult will receive at least $5,500 per year in funding through the Passport program. Access to funding under the program is subject to available resources and is released based on priority. Your local Passport agency will determine if you are eligible for additional funding.

Funding allocations are subject to available resources and are released based on priority. Please refer to page four (4) of the Passport guidelines.

When you turn 18, we recommend that you connect with your local DSO to update your file and confirm your service requests

You should start the application process through DSO as early as 16 years of age. Please note that you won’t be eligible for MCCSS-funded services, including the Passport program, until you are 18.

If you need assistance with completing your Passport package, contact your local Passport agency. Watch these videos on how to complete your forms here.

Allocations are based on the availability of Provincial funding as noted on page four (4) of the current Passport guidelines. When funds are available, your local Passport agency will reach out to discuss next steps. You are always welcome to contact your local Passport agency with any questions or concerns.

This depends on when funding becomes available. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible to streamline the transition from Special Services at Home (SSAH) to Passport.

If/when there is a change in a person’s situation and/or needs, you should contact and advise your local DSO to update your file. Any change that affects your Passport funding file will be shared with your local Passport agency.

Your local Passport agency will let you know what documents are required to access funding once you have been approved. If you want reimbursements deposited into your bank account, a VOID cheque or Direct Deposit form should be submitted with your completed Passport funding forms.


It can be used for several Community Participation Supports and Respite. Please refer to the Passport Guidelines for a comprehensive list.

They should contact their local Passport agency to ask questions.

If approved for Passport funding, it will automatically renew each April 1st for the same funding amount.

Once you have completed your Application Package (ADSS/SIS) with a DSO Assessor, it is then forwarded to your local Passport office for review of funding allocations.

Priority for funding is based on an automated tool that weighs out a variety of factors, considering behavioural, medical and personal support needs as well as caregiver circumstances. It is important to keep your local DSO up to date on significant changes as this can impact on when you are prioritized for funding.

The maximum amount of funding a person can receive is $44,275.00.00 per year which is dependent on assessed need, priority, and available government resources.

No, unused funding cannot be rolled over to the next year.

Passport is allocated based on the level of a person’s support needs and current situation. It is not based on the cost of supports.

No. You need to be confirmed eligible for developmental services and supports by Developmental Services Ontario to be eligible to receive Passport funding.

Yes, these are separate programs. ODSP is an income program, and the Passport program is a funding reimbursement program for Community Participation Supports and Caregiver Respite.

No, Passport funding is not based on income or financial resources.

No, Passport funding is not considered income and does not affect taxes or ODSP.

Yes. There is no age cap on Passport funding.


PassportONE is an administrative body that processes all invoices and receipts so that recipients can be reimbursed for their expenses. Any questions are to be directed to your local Passport agency.

PassportONE processes invoices and payments Monday through Friday.

You can submit your claims through eClaim, MDP, emailing, faxing or mailing. Processing and reimbursement may be faster if you use eClaim or MDP, provided that you submit all of the required documentation.

Visit our Filing Claims page to learn more.

There are Transfer Payment Agencies (TPA), Service Agencies and Brokers that pay for services and bill directly to Passport. Speak to your Passport Coordinator about what is best for you and your situation.

No, you do not need to use a TPA, Service Agency or Broker. The client, caregiver or other designated person known as “Person Managing Funds” can self-administer the funding.

A TPA or Service Agency is an agency that administers funds on behalf of a Passport recipient. A Broker is a privately hired individual who is over the age of 18 and not the primary caregiver that manages funding.

Contact your local Passport agency and they can provide you with this information as it varies region to region.

A Broker can be anyone over the age of 18 who is not the unpaid primary caregiver. They can support in the management of funds and submissions. Some brokers may support in arranging services and supports as well.

Yes, TPAs, Service Agencies and Brokers can bill Passport directly.

The funds will be deposited into the bank account of the payee.

A Transfer Payment Agency, Service Agency or Broker administering funds on behalf of a recipient can claim up to 10% administration fee for each claim submitted.

Contact your local Passport agency for more information on submitting invoices and processing payments.

Person Directed Planning

Passport funding covers all Person Directed Planning up to $2,500 per year, as long as the planner is over the age of 18 and not an unpaid primary caregiver. An invoice must be submitted.

You can find resources related to Person Directed Planning on Partners for Planning, Ontario Independent Facilitation Network or ConnectABILITY.

$2,500 is the annual limit for a Person Directed Plan.

Support Workers

A support worker can be anyone over the age of 18, unless they fall into any of the following categories:

  • Primary Caregiver or Spouse of the Primary Caregiver
  • Parent or Stepparent of the client.
  • Spouse of the client
  • Payee for the client
  • Person Managing Funds
  • Receiving financial compensation from the Ministry to provide support or care for an adult with a developmental disability through a Ministry-funded service agency (e.g. Adult Protective Service Worker, LifeShare)

They do not require certain skills, but it is recommended that they have training on how best to support the person.

The client and support worker determine the rate of pay.

Yes, there is no limit to how many support workers you can have registered.

The work schedule is determined by the person/agency securing the worker and the worker. PassportONE will pay the claim as received based on funding available.

A support worker must complete a claim form or verify their hours on MDP, which acts as a timesheet for the worker.

We recommend that support workers contact Canada Revenue Agency about their tax situations.